Position Title: Bikkur Holim Coordinator - Friendly Visitor
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full time, Hourly
Pay Rate: $22 - $22.50 per hour
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
Bikkur Holim (visiting the ill and isolated) matches older adults with caring volunteers who offer companionship and a steady connection to the community through weekly in-home visits. We strive to create a mutually enriching experience, believing that two people enjoying each other’s company lifts the spirits of both.
The Bikkur Holim Coordinator interviews, selects, trains, and supervises volunteers who visit homebound adults in their homes providing socialization and companionship. The Coordinator conducts in-home assessments of potential clients before matching then with the trained volunteer. The Coordinator provides resources to both clients and volunteers who need additional support while gathering reporting statistics and maintaining client and volunteer files in the ETOi database.
• Provide supervision and support to volunteers in person, on phone and via emails regarding client concerns and volunteer experience. In emergencies communicate with volunteers/clients and supervisor as top priority.
• Onboarding and training of volunteers.
• Keep an ongoing roster of clients and volunteers, this includes developing schedules for volunteers to ensure adequate personnel to accomplish tasks and respond to clients.
• Place and match volunteers with the clients depending on their likes, dislikes and location.
• Assume responsibility for providing orientation, Facilitates and instructs orientation and activity training as required.
• Ensures clients and volunteers have a thorough understanding of their job descriptions and responsibilities.
• Ensures that the client and volunteer have proper introductions.
• Assess the need for more volunteers, may include some outreach and networking.
• Conduct regularly scheduled communication with volunteers to provide direction, guidance and oversight.
• Consult with volunteers on a regular basis, addressing concerns and sharing ideas.
• Constant clients and volunteer contact showing compassion for marginalized communities.
• Strong focus on client and volunteer satisfaction
• Additional assignments as needed
Skills/Abilities that are a Must-Have:
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Gerontology, or Social Work.
• 1+ years of working with the elderly providing direct services in the community
• Valid driver's license; dependable accessible transportation, current auto insurance and clean DMV record.
• Experience working with and managing volunteers
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
• Knowledge of Jewish culture and experience in Jewish community
• Ability to be highly organized, managing multiple tasks in a short period of time
• Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Work collaboratively with Program Directors to implement data quality procedures for ensuring data integrity.
• Ability to apply common sense and critical thinking to carry out instructions and make decisions within scope of authority
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills
• Exceptional interpersonal and telephone communication skills
Skills/Abilities we’d like you to Have:
• Comfortable speaking to groups
• Database or ETOi experience
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.