Position Title: Opportunity Youth Employment Coordinator
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: FT, Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $20 - $22 an hour
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
This position provides direct services to opportunity youth ages 16-24 years old by helping them identify, work toward, and reach their self-sufficiency goals. Services include individualized coaching, advanced job search strategies, career pathing, resume guidance, interviewing practice, and non-technical skills development. This position will have three major components:
• Initial Employment Services – Assist youth that are not currently employed
• Job Upgrade Services – Assist youth build a long-term career plan and pathway to achieve their goals.
• Opportunity Youth Services – Support services for youth ages 16-24, including foster youth, to create an education focused or career focused plan, provide a mentor and help them identify key available resources.
• Develop and maintains relationships with community employers, career centers, trade schools, social service agencies and other employment resources to assist clients with job search activities.
• Continuous program development and expansion of resources for clients based on their needs while ensuring the outcomes of the program are being met.
• Serve as a mentor and train recruited volunteers to act as career mentors for youth clients
• Build a healthy resources library that would be utilized to meet clients’ needs and address challenges that they could be facing toward career advancement.
• Responsible for providing and coordinating employment programs to assist and support our clients from all programs in their job search activities to secure and maintain gainful employment.
• Develop, coordinate, present and facilitate employment programs/workshops (i.e. job readiness, portfolio and resume development, interview technique training and career pathway)
• Identifies resources to meet client needs and remove barriers to employment.
• Maintains accurate client records and up-to-date case notes.
• Engages in ongoing professional development trainings.
• Maintain regular contact with clients after placement and provide follow up supports as needed to retain employment.
• Communicates respectfully with people regardless of age, race, gender, religion, color, national origin, marital status, the presence of any physical, sensory, or mental disability, sexual orientation, political ideology, gender identity, military status, genetic information, or any other expression of diversity.
Skills/Abilities that are a Must-Have:
• One to three years’ experience providing employment services or in staff recruiting.
• Bachelor's degree in human services or field related to employment development and coaching.
• Experience with program building and relationship management.
• Experience as a mentor with opportunity youth, at-risk youth and marginalized communities
• Skilled in MS Office suite.
• Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment and to excel in highly visible, public settings.
• Proven ability to use web-based tools/resources for career assessment, job search, and resume optimization
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with clients, customers, community service providers and businesses.
• Demonstrated ability to accurately enter and manage client/customer data in a database.
• Strong self-initiative and time-management skills.
Skills/Abilities we’d like you to Have:
• Outgoing personality; enjoys meeting new people, business networking and public presentations.
• Demonstrated understanding of local ethnic communities, young adult job seekers, labor market, local employer base, social service and education institutions.
• Experience interacting with low income individuals.
• Experience communicating with individuals who have limited English proficiency
Required Upon Hire:
• Must be willing to provide accessible services by maintaining flexible schedule – including some evenings and weekend hours -- in a variety of locations.
• Reliable transportation; ability complete regular travel throughout San Diego County
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.