Position Title: Patient Advocate
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
Do you hate injustice? Do you like fighting for the underdog? Would you like to be part of a dynamic and dedicated team of advocates and travel the county representing clients receiving mental health and substance use disorder (SUD) treatment to ensure that their rights are upheld? We’re looking for an outstanding individual who loves challenge and gets satisfaction from helping others in need.
Our team provides advocacy services for individuals receiving mental health and SUD services in inpatient and residential settings.
The advocate will investigate and resolve complaints, concerns, or grievances received from clients about rights violations, coordinate efforts with other agencies as needed, and visit and monitor facilities for compliance with clients’ rights laws, regulations and policies. They also ensure that clients, staff, owners, and administrators are informed of the rights of persons with substance use disorders. Other duties include conducting outreach activities, regular facility visits, providing educational trainings for consumers and professionals, and representing patients at their Certification Review Hearings.
Key Talents: You are proud of your communication skills, both written and oral. You have a strong commitment to teamwork and being a part of a dedicated team of professionals. You demonstrate great compassion for your fellow man and have a deep sense of responsibility and accountability. You also have a well-developed sense of humor and like to make your work fun.
• Successful completion and pass of Criminal History Background Check
• Experience working with clients who have substance use disorders or psychiatric illness.
• BA/BS or equivalent experience
• Knowledge of patients’ rights law and/or willingness and ability to learn California State laws and San Diego County Policies and Procedures as they pertain to patient’s rights.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work with a wide range of community groups including professionals, facility administrators and clients.
• Strong sense of ethics
• Ability and willingness to regularly use office equipment such as computers, fax machines, telephones and cell phones.
• Valid license, Insurance and reliable car to travel to clients.
• Ability and willingness to travel throughout San Diego County
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The duties of this position are primarily in acute care psychiatric facilities, crisis centers or substance use disorder facilities. There will also be cross training in other aspects of patient advocacy. The successful candidate will be willing to learn and open to performing patient advocacy duties in a variety of settings.
To apply, please submit your cover letter including salary requirements, and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.