Position Title: Procurement Manager
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Pay Rate: $70 - $73,000 yearly
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
This is a new position that will be required to build and shape the organizational structure around procurement, including the development of policies and procedures. The position will have the responsibility for the procurement of goods and services, including insurance programs, following policies, procedures and applicable local, state and federal regulations. Duties include planning, scheduling, initiating, monitoring and quality assurance of all procurement and all vendor contract activities. The work requires independent and professional judgment and is performed under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer of Jewish Family Service (JFS).
• Manages the day-to-day operations of the procurement process and create procurement standards for JFS
• Develop procurement policies and procedures in conjunction with the CFO and in compliance with government procurement regulations.
• Makes recommendations on policies and procedures as needed to ensure the success and compliance of all procurement related activities. Document new processes and implement.
• Incorporates best practices and market research into procurement practices to ensure JFS obtains the possible price.
• Create standard contracts and MOU templates for agency use and protection.
• Review all procurement contracts keeping the best interest of the organization at forefront of all transactions
• Evaluate procurement efficiencies.
• Work with program managers to conduct procurement bids including preparation of bid packages, and documentation of bids and vendor selections
• Train program managers in procurement processes and monitor adherence to process
• Demonstrates strong leadership and managerial competencies, including integrity, accountability, communication skills and commitment to teamwork and excellence in responsibilities such as communicating and working closely with staff at all levels.
• Coordinates routinely with other departments to assure effective and timely coordination and teamwork in procuring goods and services. Provides procurement research, guidance and direction by presenting available procurement options.
• Provides high-level technical/administrative guidance on work requirements and methods and will be responsible for the creation of procurement policies.
• Responsible for managing documents for the procurement of all supplies, equipment and services for JFS and ensures compliance the Procurement Policy and Procedures well as applicable federal and state laws.
• Establishes bid standards and prepares procurement documents to publicly solicit bids and contracts for the purchase and /or lease of materials and services.
• Identifies suppliers and maintains positive vendor relations.
• Manages the preparation of solicitation documents and offers.
• Conducts (or Manages the process for) the evaluations of proposals, offers and bids in accordance with internal policy and external local, state and federal regulations while selecting the best supplier in accordance with solicitation requirements.
• Assures suppliers deliver materials and services in accordance with standards of price, time, quantity and quality agreed upon.
• Responsible for ensuring records are maintained and procurements are documented from origination through completion.
• Maintains complete record of JFS contracts for goods and services.
• Exhibits a strong sense of urgency to maintain high personal performance while making decisions and allocating resources in a cost-efficient manner.
Skills/Abilities that are a MUST-HAVE:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: The preferred candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business, accounting, contract management or a closely related field and have three to five years of experience in procurement management. Candidate must possess a strong working knowledge of procurement, invoice processing and payment functions in an electronic environment.
• LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
• REASONING ABILITY: Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations. Strong analytical skills are a must.
• COMPUTER SKILLS: Experience with word processing, spreadsheets, Internet software, email and/or database software preferred. Microsoft Office skills are required.
• Good mathematical background.
• Experience with spreadsheets and automated accounting systems.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work efficiently.
• Ability to listen, communicate (written and verbal), and follow-up effectively with all staffing levels and clients/customers.
• Excellent grammar, spelling and proof-reading skills.
• Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and energetically approach tasks assigned.
• Ability to demonstrate good common sense and sound judgment.
• Flexibility to adapt to all situations and work varied hours; possibly work weekends or evenings.
• Ability to perform at high levels in a fast-paced ever-changing work environment. Ability to anticipate work needs and follow through with minimum direction.
• Must have knowledge of pertinent Federal regulations
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to manipulate, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and smell. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 20 pounds.
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often lifesaving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 3-5 years of experience.