Position Title: Senior Director of Institutional Giving
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Pay Rate: $90,000 - $100,000 yearly
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits. *Flexible working arrangements
Join Team JFS!
Are you looking for a job where you can use your strong management, grant-writing and relationship building skills to make a meaningful and measurable difference in your community? Are you excited about leading a team that secures $15 Million annually to change lives across San Diego?
At JFS we’re looking for a compassionate, mission-driven leader to join our team and help us end cycles of poverty and support aging with dignity one life at a time.
We are committed to providing our team with valuable professional development opportunities that allow them to grow and deepen their impact. We are proud of our work to create a culture of innovation across our organization.
At JFS, we believe:
• in empowering clients.
• in engaging volunteers.
• in being accountable to our supporters.
• in working collaboratively with partners.
Join us to help ensure we continue to be a vital resource for all of San Diego!
The Senior Director of Institutional Giving plays an integral role on JFS’s Advancement Team – and makes an impact of the entire agency by securing funding for the agency’s life-changing programs and services. This position reports to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and supervises two staff grant writers. This position is responsible for contributing to the strategic growth of JFS’s extensive portfolio of Government, Foundation, and Corporate grant funding and collaborates with programs and our Community Impacts and Accounting teams by performing a variety of tasks including:
• Collaborating with organizational leaders to create, implement and evaluate strategic goals related to institutional funding
• Planning, staffing, budgeting and tracking expenses for Institutional Giving department
• Managing cross-functional proposal submission teams — including program, community impact, and accounting staff — to obtain and coordinate information needed for grant proposals and funder stewardship
• Representing JFS at community events and presentations to funders and prospective funders
• Contributing to/supervising writing and submission of proposals, reports, and other communications to foundations, corporations, and government funders
• Supervising prospecting funder research to identify and investigate new grant opportunities
• Initiating and managing relationships with new and existing funders
• Researching community needs and preparing statements of need for JFS programs
• Working with Director of Government Relations and executive leaders to align policy priorities with institutional funding goals
• Creating engaging professional development workshops and trainings for program staff and conducting grants-related presentations
• Ensuring Raisers Edge database is updated with grant-related activities and deadlines
• Working in conjunction with the Community Impact department and Marketing Team to support development of annual impact reports for funders
• Participating in continuing education through workshops and webinars
Skills/Abilities that are a MUST-HAVE:
• BA required; MA/MS preferred
• Minimum 4 years’ experience in non-profit environment in supervisory role
• Visionary leader and manager
• High emotional intelligence
• Excellent writing and research skills
• Charismatic public speaker; strong verbal and interpersonal skills
• Extensive grant writing experience (Government, Foundation, Corporate funders)
• Experience designing research-based programs rooted in best practice
• Familiarity creating logic models and developing impact-driven program outcomes and outputs
• Experience overseeing grant proposals and/or grant-funded programs
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often lifesaving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 3-5 years of experience.