Position: Accounting and Office Manager
Status: Regular, Full‐Time, Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week, weekends, and holidays on occasion.
Reports to: Executive Director
App Deadline: August 23, 2019
The Accounting and Office Manager is a key staff member of the Farm Leadership Team and will support the overall operations of the organization, including but not limited to accounting, human resources, and administrative responsibilities. As the first point of contact for Farm inquiries, the Accounting and Office Manager will help create an exceptional and radically welcoming environment and culture, while also helping to establish and maintain critical organizational operating procedures and policies.
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
Since our inception in 2014, Coastal Roots Farm has provided dignified access to fresh food for those who need it most. Inspired by Jewish agricultural practices, we raise organic crops and share the harvest with our community through pay-what-you-can farm stands, donation-based Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, and direct donations to food insecure communities in North County San Diego as well as local hunger relief organizations. Through volunteering, school visits, agricultural festivals, and other community programs, we offer hands-on education and invite our neighbors to connect to the land and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 20 acres of land. Our Farm consists of vegetable gardens, greenhouses, a food forest, animal pastures, compost systems, and a vineyard. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2015.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Accounting (65% of role)
• Review timecards and manage timekeeping process.
• Prepare and process payroll.
• Hands-on management of full-cycle accounting including A/P, A/R, and bank deposits.
• Create and present monthly financial reports and analysis.
• Prepare and complete program financial statements per grant requirements.
• Manage and track fundraising and grant revenue, including release of temp restricted funds.
• Oversee all records in conformance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Supervise, monitor and evaluate all day-to-day accounting activities.
• Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles.
• Evaluate, develop and recommend fiscal policy and mechanisms to ensure sound financial. management that are right sized to a growing organization.
• Formulate strategies to be used in long-term financial planning.
• Work closely with Executive Director to create annual budget and cost allocation plans.
• Support each department in preparing annual budgets in the context and support of the overall organizational direction.
• Oversee internal and external financial audits and administrative controls and assist the organization in preparing for audits.
• Manage the process of preparing and finalizing annual tax documents.
• Manage Farm contracts and insurance requirements with vendors and apply for and manage process for obtaining required permits.
Human Resources (25% of role)
• Provide leadership and oversight to HR systems including organizational development, talent acquisition, workforce planning, talent management, employee engagement, employee relations, personnel records, leave administration, performance management, training, compensation, benefits, HR systems, safety, policy development and implementation, regulations and compliance.
• Supporting the Executive Director, manage all employee relations, payroll, and benefits.
• Support in the writing of Job Descriptions, manage recruitment, screen resumes, complete initial interview, conduct background and reference checks for new hires and intern/volunteers.
• In collaboration with the Farm Leadership Team as part of the Farm’s Internship/Volunteer Program, assist with placement of a new intern/volunteers in various departments of the Farm, including Production, Education, and Communications.
• Ensure new hires and interns/volunteers complete official onboarding process including required HR, financial, and insurance paperwork and all trainings.
• Consistently and fairly develop and implement human resources policies.
• Protect the organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
Administrative (10% of role)
• Office support such as answering main phone calls and general inquiry emails, retrieving and distributing mail, ordering office supplies, filing, and ensuring the organization and office equipment is in good working order.
• Work with the Farm Leadership Team to ensure proper use of various databases, such as contact records and activity logs in Salesforce, maintain data integrity by conducting regular data cleanup, maintain proper documentation both hardcopy files and electronic via Sharepoint, and other data bases.
• Support the design, development, testing, configuring, administering, and deployment of all data management platforms and applications that support the Farm’s business requirements.
• Develop and establish key office systems and protocols.
• Manage internal staff email and phone lists, and internal staff birthdays and anniversaries.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, HR, or Business Administration or equivalent work experience.
• 5+ years working experience in professional accounting, financial management, or human resources, or equivalent field.
• A flare for numbers.
• Knowledge of legal requirements and labor laws affecting human resources functions.
• Very good time management skills, with the ability to pivot priorities.
• A high degree of organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication abilities, with ability to anticipate requests, potential problems and act to resolve in real time.
• High level of discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
• Advanced Excel skills, ability to work with lookups and pivot tables with proficiency in the rest of the MS Office Suite.
• Experience using QuickBooks or similar accounting system.
• High level of self‐motivation with ability to manage priorities and work independently.
• Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks.
• Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co‐workers, and the general public.
• Comfort in a small, ambiguous start-up environment.
• Able to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
• Experience with Salesforce preferred.
• Experience working in a nonprofit or philanthropic organization.
• Human Resources certification.
Reports directly to the Executive Director.
Salary commensurate with experience. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Accounting and Office Manager will work inside an office as well as outdoors on occasion. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual sitting, walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting and carrying.
How to Apply
To access the application for this position, please go to https://coastalrootsfarm.isolvedhire.com/jobs/.
The application deadline for this position is August 23, 2019. Initial review of applications will begin on August 24, 2019.
Coastal Roots Farm is an equal opportunity employer.