Position Title: Immigration Program Assistant
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-time (37.5 hours per week), Non-Exempt
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
Are you passionate about immigration issues and making a difference in someone’s life? If so, we want to hear from you!
As an Immigration Program Assistant, you will work with a team of dedicated and dynamic professionals to provide underserved and underrepresented immigrants access to quality and affordable legal services. In this role you’ll work under the supervision of our immigration attorneys, and one-on-one with clients to assess their case and eligibility for life-changing immigration benefits that provide greater security. You will also have the opportunity to assist with preparing and filing immigration applications and filings before the Executive Office for Immigration Review. As an Immigration Program Assistant, you will have an opportunity to bring your passion and expertise to an organization who is passionate about protecting the rights of immigrants in this country and those seeking refuge in the United States.
Responsibilities: (under the supervision of immigration attorneys)
• Assist in the management of our immigration hotlines. We have two hotlines, one for individuals returned to Mexico to await their court hearings and our general immigration hotline. We receive a high volume of calls from people seeking consultations with our immigration attorneys and Department of Justice (DOJ) Accredited Representative.
• Provide clients with immigration screenings over the phone or in person.
• Help client prepare immigration filings for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service and the Executive Office of Immigration Review.
• Manage client’s physical and electronic files and stay in constant communication with clients about the status of their pending immigration cases.
• Interpret during meetings and translate documents if you speak another language.
• Perform data entry for all our cases, and assist supervising attorney with program planning, database management and grant reporting.
• Initiative and ability to take ownership of projects, manage multiple deadlines, and work effectively with a high level of attention to detail.
• Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Attend trainings as required by supervisor.
• Administrative support to the attorneys and DOJ Accredited Representatives, such as the completion mailings, scheduling, reimbursements, and assistance to our other immigration programs as needed.
• The Program Assistant should also be ready to perform any additional case management or administrative tasks. With the constant changes in immigration law and policy, sometimes there is a need to change the way tasks or cases are handled. The ideal candidate is someone that can easily adapt to changes.
Desired Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• 1-2 years of work experience in a nonprofit setting.
• Bilingual—English/Spanish, required.
We’d like you to have:
• A passion for our mission and work.
• Strong cross-cultural understanding and communication skills.
• An understanding of and experience with working in international and/or U.S based immigration and refugee contexts.
• Experience working with clients of diverse ethnic, social, educational and economic backgrounds.
• Reliable transportation; ability to travel throughout San Diego County, and possibly to Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.
• Able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often lifesaving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 0-2 years of experience.