Position Title: Supervising Immigration Staff Attorney
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-time
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
The Supervising Immigration Attorney will be responsible for overseeing the affirmative casework at JFS in addition to providing direct representation for JFS clients in immigration cases. The Supervising Immigration Attorney will have a mixed caseload including representation in Immigration Court and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), while helping to support the broader immigration efforts of JFS’s legal team. Under the supervision of the Senior Immigration Attorney, the Supervising Immigration Attorney will provide direct legal representation in affirmative and defensive cases to individuals.
1. Provide legal representation in immigration cases, including both affirmative applications and representation of clients in removal proceedings;
2. Under the supervision of JFS’s Senior Immigration Attorney, support JFS’s immigration team, including the DOJ accredited representatives, pro bono attorneys, and other staff as assigned, through regular engagement, case assistance and mentorship;
3. Oversee and provide legal orientation, counseling and education regarding a range of immigration issues and other legal problems faced by members of the low-income immigrant communities that JFS serves;
4. Manage caseload of in-house and pro bono mentorship cases for immigration relief;
5. Provide emergency response for San Diego Rapid Response Network activations;
6. Stay up to date on rapidly changing immigration laws and policies;
7. Comply with data and program reporting requirements.
Skills/Abilities that are a Must-Have:
• Juris Doctorate degree with membership in good standing in the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia;
• Bilingual English/Spanish;
• A minimum of 2-3 years of experience with immigration law, including removal defense work before the immigration court;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including good communication skills, listening skills and attitude;
• Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills required;
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to zealously pursue new and untested legal theories;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
• Ability to work both independently and in a group setting;
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends;
• Valid driver’s license, access to an automobile, insurance, and willingness to drive to off-site locations;
• Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
Skills/Abilities we’d like you to Have:
• Experience working with detained immigrants or other incarcerated populations;
• Experience working with marginalized populations and survivors of trauma;
• Experience with removal defense or the intersection of immigration and family law or criminal defense;
• Dedication to serving immigrant communities with a sincere commitment to working on behalf of low income immigrants.
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter including salary requirements, and resume on the following link; https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2313270
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Required and 3-5 years of experience.